Sunday, April 17, 2011

Running Towards Training

Well just a few more days until the Sycamore Canyon 30K. This will officially mark the end of my base training. I will have put in 775+ miles, 125+ hours, and over 52,000 feet of climbing since December 4 of last year when Joel and I took our first training run.

Today Jen and I did a 10 mile trail run on one of my favorites. Spring is in the air and it was pretty warm on the run. We saw butterflies, birds, and even a snake on the trail.

I ran my 5 mile hill climb on Wednesday starting out with a short 1 mile warmup. Then it was 5 miles uphill with an elevation gain of around 1800 feet. I was able to maintain a nice comfortable pace. Didn't look at my watch and then was able to step it up a bit for the last mile. I finished the 5 miles in just over 48 minutes. Mike said the fun part about this is that I will crush that time in a couple of months. I am running my tempo run on Tuesday. That may be a different story as I prefer to run in my comfort zone and not on the top end.

After the Sycamore Canyon race we are going to take about a week off with a couple short runs thrown in there. I am really looking forward to the time off but more looking forward to what Mike has in store for me. I am starting my "real" training May 1. Joel is going to wait until June as it will easier with his schedule.

Joel ran into a small speed bump in his training battling a knee issue but it's early and his base is very strong. With rest he will come back stronger than ever.

I never thought I would be able to stick to this base training but have done so and am very motivated to crush the next phase of training which should be lots of mountain runs, Grand Canyon runs, and even some runs high in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado.

Having Mike coach me through this phase will not only ensure my success but he is very motivating and positive as well. I feel very fortunate.

maw

No comments:

Post a Comment