Friday, December 31, 2010

Ode To A Mitten

Oh Mitten, I am so glad I found you. You keep my digits warm in the cold wind, in the driving snow, and even after I fell and submerged my hand in a puddle as I tried to protect myself from the pavement.

The 180's Ultralite CRG is awesome. I purchased these about a month ago for around $25 and I couldn't be happier. I've tried gloves, but they just don't do the trick. My fingers get cold and I end up pulling them into the palm in a feeble attempt to keep them warm. I tried thicker gloves, but they are just too bulky and, sometimes, too much after an hour or so. Sometimes you just need a good mitten.

And so, after a quick search on the interwebs, I tracked down the 180's Ultralite CRG running mitten. The mitten material is wind and water resistant. I have found it to block even the most ferocious cold winds. And I already mentioned how I submerged my hand on a fall within the first two miles of a 7 mile run and still arrived home with warm fingers.

On the thumb and back of the hand of this cleverly designed mitten is a terry cloth fabric that the manufacturer describes as perfect for wiping off your sweat. We all know, though, that it's really for wiping your freezing snot before icicles form from your nostrils.

Best of all, the CRG in the model name of this 180's mitten stands for Convertible Running Glove. The hood on this mitten can retract back into a small pocked on the back of the hand to reveal a more conventional glove. What a perfect design! After I've warmed up a bit, but it's still too cold to go au naturale, I roll back the mitten and run hand-in-glove.


So, as I contemplate running in the cold, I've lost one more excuse to bag it and head for the treadmill. I no longer suffer from uncomfortably cold fingers. My Mittens protect me.

-jea

No comments:

Post a Comment